Monday, December 10, 2012

Haiduk Interview


1.Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?

Haiduk is a manifestation of a pissed off and determined guitarist trying to forge a unique style of modern extreme metal.


2. How would you describe your musical sound?

Relentless, pummeling, fast...


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Haiduk lyrical themes focus on stories and ideas relating to a fictional fantasy world I’ve been developing for some time. “Spellbook” deals with elements of magic within that world: fire, lightning, necromancy, curses, etc. It relates music to magic. Music can be a powerful force and manipulating it can give its master powers similar to those wielded by mages conceived in fantasy books and games which I draw inspiration from.


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

A “hajduk” is a resistance warrior who retreats to the hills and forests during a time of invasion in order to continue fighting off enemy occupation. My background is Serbian and it’s a common word in south-east Europe. I was partly inspired by Scandinavian viking metal bands who incorporate pagan and historical themes into their music so I chose a name which reflects my own European roots.


5. Currently the project is solo are you planning on expanding the line up or do you choose to remain solo?

I choose to remain solo and have no desire to work with anyone else.


6. Currently you are unsigned are you looking for a label and if so, what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?

I dislike any outside interference in my work and have no interest in working with a label. I walk a solitary path and control my own destiny. I’m no slave to the ways of the industry nor do I function the same way as most bands do. It’s an advantage and a disadvantage.


7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of underground metal?

Overall the feedback has been really good, which is important because it’s always a gamble when you compose an album on your own with no outside input along the way. It’s easy to lose perspective and you never know what the reaction will be. I just write music that sounds good to me.


8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?

I choose to focus all my energy on Haiduk.


9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

I haven’t decided if I’ll make another album yet. If there’s another release it will continue in the same direction of speed and push for more complexity and technical guitarwork.


10. What are some band or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Early 90’s thrash is what I grew up with: Sepultura, Slayer, Testament, old Megadeth & Metallica.... Nowadays I lean towards a variety of fast thrash/death bands like Dew-Scented, Carnal Forge, Old Man’s Child, Vomit the Soul....


11. How would you describe your views on Occultism?

Most of it is complete bullshit. Aside from using symbolism to convey a message, believing “occult” magic is as stupid as believing in god, fairy tales or fortune tellers. The theme of this album is 100% fantasy-based and escapist. Knowledge is the closest thing to magic. Through experience and learning one can begin to use their knowledge to create extraordinary effects which can come to resemble something similar to magic to those who don’t possess it.


12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I keep up with world news and international relations, paying close attention to scientific progress, wars, revolutions, strife, ethnic unrest and generally where the human species is going. But I also love to escape from it all and retreat into alternate realities through various means.


13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thank you.


Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
Official website
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment