Wednesday, January 2, 2019

A Vintage Death Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Greetings to all readers, my name is Carmine d'Annibale, I'm essentially a drummer, I've always played drums in my band Rising Moon, but I've long wanted to create my own project, where I could express my best my ideas and influences. A Vintage Death is simply the interpretation of my fantasies, passions and curiosities transformed into music.

2.So far you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

"Acrid Death Fragrance" is my first solo work, I did everything myself, from the creation, the arrangement, the recording and the production. I felt free to do what I really wanted, without compromising anyone. The musical style fully reflects my main listens, it pass from death black metal to more doom and atmospheric veins.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the music?

The main and recurring theme in A Vintage Death is the relationship between death and past time, death in its real form and representation by peoples in the various eras of life. For the lyrics of the songs everything can inspire me, a simple film, a documentary, a story, a walk ... I write what I feel in a particular particular moment of my life and I try to reproduce it to the best of my music.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'A Vintage Death’?

I am very fascinated by old photos and stories of the Victorian era, especially with their way of interacting with death. Here are my main sources of inspiration and visions, hence the moniker come out naturally.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

The concept of the cover artwork is very personal, it represents a my moment of pain, the detail that we see in the foreground is a cemetery lamp created by an artisan friend on the grave of a dear dead suicide friend. The whole concept of "Acrid Death Fragrance" is inspired and dedicated to him.

6.On the ep you had recorded everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

A Vintage Death is my personal creature, in the compositional phase I can safely say that I will always be alone. Then in the future, if there will be an opportunity to offer my live music and there will be people willing to accompany me, I will only be happy to collaborate with other musicians.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

Yes, I am currently looking for a label that can print and distribute the EP, for the moment "Acrid Death Fragrance" is out only in digital format and for me it would be very nice to see it made in physical format, but this is not for me a priority, if the right opportunity arises, I will take it. At the moment I received some offers, but I'm not yet ready.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black, doom and death metal?

At the moment some good little signal is coming, but the EP has been out for just over a week, so I think we need to take more time. Some metalheads write to me complimenting the work, and they wait for a pshycal format, this for me is a huge satisfaction.

9.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

oh no, I'm not really ready for a full length album, I'm honestly not even interested in making it. I have some new riffs in mind that I will probably be recording in the new year for another EP. My work and my family take a lot of time in my day, so unfortunately I do not have much time to dedicate to music, so the compositional process and recording is particularly long.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I grew up listening mainly to death metal, bands like Deicide, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse have marked my life, At The Gates and Hypocrisy have shocked my life ahhh !!! I am a huge fan of the Hypocrisy and in general of the Swedish Death Metal scene. Lately I'm listening to a bit of black and doom metal, there are really interesting new bands.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I have an extremely simple life, when I don't work in the factory, I love working wood and devoting myself to my small farmland, producing olive oil, wine and vegetables for my home.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview and for the possibility that you give to small bands like me to have some visibility in the underground. Death is not the end ...

Bandcamp
Facebook
Spotify
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment