1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
We are a death metal band hailing from Sherbrooke, Quebec. Our musical style is very broad, with influences ranging from classic death metal to black metal and even progressive music. We started as a band in 2003 and previously released 2 EPs. Our last effort was released in 2007 on Cryogenic Records and is entitled 'Apocalyptic Vision'. We are releasing our first full lenght album 'Shades of Black' this year on Maple Metal Records.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album, and how does it differ from previous releases?
We have been working on 'Shades of Black' for the last 4 years. Some songs were completed 3 years ago and some have been composed in the past year or so. The new compositions follow kind of the same vibe than the 4 songs off 'Apocalyptic Vision' but we took the time to develop the song structures alot more and we made sure the whole record flows very well this time around. Apart from the production which is a huge improvement over our first releases, the playing also reflects the experience we acquired as a band, playing together for the last 8 years. We also worked hard on the lyrics, to which almost every members of the band have contributed.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that the new releases explores?
The new album is entitled 'Shades of Black' because it represents the topics of most of the songs on the record. The lyrical topic in general is very dark and the social message we are trying to pass is usually portrayed in short stories or metaphorical passages.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Korpius just sounds really good to us, and there is no meaning to this word. Funny fact, there is a 'George Korpius' that seems to have worked at the White House at some point in the 1990's... You can Google that.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe our stage performance?
The best shows we played were in our hometown with bands like Cryptopsy or Belphegor and Krisiun. However, we had the chance to hit Rouyn-Noranda a few times and that city has always been awesome for us. We played a few times with Despised Icon and these guys have always been a very good sport. On stage, we are an energic act and we are there to fire up the stage!
6. Out off all the bands that you have done shows with, which one did you enjoy the most?
We always enjoy playing gigs with local buddies in Archons or Derelict. These guys are awesome and down to earth.
7. Do you have any touring plans for the new releases?
We will be doing week-end shows in April, May and June.Check out our website for the official dates, they will be updated on a regular basis.
8. On a worldwide level, how has your music been received by death/black metal fans worldwide?
Up to now, our releases have mostly been sold locally. However, the 'Apocalyptic Vision' Ep has been available on the internet for a while and the response about it has been great. With the new album, we hope to attract the attention of people worldwide.
9. Are there any side projects besides this band, or is this a full time line-up?
This band is our full-time project but almost every member of the bands has other side projects in order to play different music styles. We have all studied music at some point and we all feel the need to explore different styles of music. This helps us bring fresh ideas to the music we make. However, Korpius remains our priority.
10. How would you describe your musical progress over the years and what direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?
I think with this new release we started making good songs with killer riffs, instead of songs which have good riffs in them. We worked hard on the structures and since both guitarists are also lead singer, we made sure the vocal lines really fit the music. We haven't started the composition process for future releases but we are not planning any major style change.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music, and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Some bands every one of us enjoys are Opeth, Cephalic Carnage, Martyr or Dimmu Borgir. This draws in a huge variety of influences and shows that we don't limit ourselves to any style in particular.
12. Outside of music, what are some of your interests?
We all enjoy good food and wine, we regularly gather up for dinner.
13 Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for your time, and be sure to check out our new album 'Shades of Black' out April 4th on Maple Metal Records. To get the info about the band you can head to:
Post a Comment