Friday, May 10, 2013

A Shallower Void Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
The project consists mainly of myself (David, guitar, bass, vocals) and 2 friends of mine on the drums (Jake on IACBN and APGWOE, and Justin of EDIF). Since its mainly a studio project I would consider them more than just session members, the did have a least some creative input. I've worked on and off with Jake for a long time, formerly in Shapless Construct, and previously with Justin in The Divine Infirmity. Basically the recording happened because I had a friend with access to a studio and a few songs ready.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
In general I like jumping around to different metal genre's. There are definitely elements of death/black/grind in the songs for this demo, but future work may include more technical, progressive, or melo-death songs. I try to avoid slower stuff though.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Into a Cold Black Nothing is the only song with meaningful lyrics. They are essentially about freezing to death and man's struggle to exist. Evil Death Incarnate Forever! started out as a joke, with the lyrics being a semi-random jumble of words. I liked the way the music had turned out though, so I included it for the demo. There are no lyrics for A Perfectly Good Waste of Entrails, its all just vocalizations.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
A lot of the song/band names and lyrics I use have a general aesthetic value to me. The word "void" is very bleak and empty, whereas the "shallowness" implies a sort of paradoxical respite.
5. Where is the band located at at?
The demo was recorded in Michigan, but I have since moved close to Boston.
6. Has the band done any live shows or is this a studio project?
This is, and will likely continue to be, a studio project.
7. Currently you are unsigned, has the band looked for a label or received any interest?
I don't have any intention of joining a label. Record labels should be obsolete given the fall of physical media. I like keeping my music free as well.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and death metal?
Honestly, I have yet to get many hits since I am not heavily marketing it. I had released the demo on Myspace a while back, but I have gotten more interest from reposting it on facebook/bandcamp.
9. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Its hard to say. You could say I'm still working on music for this project, you could say I'm working on Shapeless Construct, or you could say its really all just part of a general collection of works.
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Currently I am working on songs more similar to the Shapeless Construct demo (though a little more refined) and may start working with Noah (the other half of SC) again. There are also a couple of songs I recorded on my own that were originally for TDI that still need vocals.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
For the demo I drew from bands like Dissection, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Napalm Death, and various other Black/Grind bands. Currently I've been listening to Deathspell Omega, Obscura, Archspire, Revocation, and many others.
12. Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?
Nope.
13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Bread making and root beer.
14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
The more interest this gathers the more free music there will be!

https://ashallowervoid.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment