1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Hello friends, these days we are fully committed to the release of "The Absents Presence", our new album and at the same time we are rehearsing for the upcoming national tour. Everything is going great so far!
2. Recently you have released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction of the new recording and also how does it differ from your past releases?
The Absents Presence is a big step forward for us in regard of the level of production and the sound quality that we achieved in this record. We are very pleased with how it sounds and how it showcases all the detail of the compositions. Musically is a very complex album, with lots of guitars and arrangements, making it interesting to listen to more than once, because you can hear new things each time, which is something we wanted to achieve. We also intended to do a more listenable album but at the same time keeping up with the brutality and general "sickness" of our previous albums.
The listener will find a wide range of musical influences and styles in each song of "The Absents Presence" but with the distinguishable touch of the band.
3. Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
The lyrics of this album are interconnected, as in a concept album, but not in the sense of telling a structured story but more in the sense of dealing with certain topics concerning human existence from a philosophical perspective. We tried to put our own feelings and thoughts on certain important aspects of human existence, such as mortality, the awareness of our own weakness and limitations, the ability to choice out of existence, and such.
4. On the fb page, you had a lot of philosophers listed as influences; can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in philosophy?
This is a very good question. Yes, i (Gastón Praddaude) write all the lyrics and before and during the time i was writing "The Absents Presence" i was reading a lot of existentialist philosophers such as Nietzsche, Sartre, Camus and modern lecturers of this school of thought.
I studied Psychology so i always had been reading a lot, and i think the lyrics of the album are a reflection of my own views on the search of a meaning for life filtered through all these philosophical influences that i get when i study or read those authors and thinkers.
5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Devius'?
The name was found while shuffling through a Latin dictionary, it means "out of the path" or something like "deranged", that is the general idea behind the word. Our take on the name is that our music is really, really, really not intended as a commercial product or as an imitation of somebody else´s music. We do this following our own instincts and that for us is very important.
6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
We play a handful of shows because we are very methodical and carful with the sound of each presentation. For us that is the most important thing, because if not then why bother to go to a venue and watch a band sounding awful? You´ll be better off listening to the cd. That is our philosophy for live presentations, so that is why we are very selective on where do we play and what the conditions of the venue are, regarding sound. With this type of complex music you can’t leave anything to chance.
7. Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
Yes, we plan to do a national tour on the second semester of this year, and also negotiating for a tour in Europe, but that will be 2015.
8. Over the years the band has put out albums on both Depressive Illusions and Black Medusa Records, do you feel these record labels have helped out the band a lot when it comes to getting your music out there heard?
We always have been an independent band when it comes to our releases, the people of Depressive Illusions helped us out this time with a limited edition of the album which we authorized so to have distribution in Europe. They have been very helpful in that aspect, but we as a band conduct all the business related with the edition, promotion and distribution of the albums.
9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of extreme and progressive metal?
So far it’s been great, far more wide than with previous albums and we have yet to find a negative review, since this music we do its completely non-trendy and very honest we found out that although they might be some critics, they will always be constructive, mainly because this music is really unique.
10. Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
We haven´t stopped to think about a future album yet, we want to take our time with "The Absents Presence" as it is such a big step for us, but i think we will always remain true to originality and experimentation in our music. Plans for a new album are due for late 2015.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Our all-time influences are Death, Opeth, Cynic, Behemoth, Necrophagist, Gojira, Akercocke, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Astor Piazzolla, Frank Zappa, King Crimson Decapitated and Meshuggah amongst many others. Nowadays i am listening a lot to: Wolves in the throne room, Woods of Ypres and Alcest.
12. What are some of your non musical interests?
I particularly love reading and i work as a psychologist, that’s the other part of my life besides music.
13. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I wanted to thank you for doing your research and asking questions that are not just generic, as in many other interviews. And to everybody reading this, don’t forget to check out our new album "The Absents Presence" which you can stream online for free and also buy in cd or digital format, it is available worldwide. Have a great week!