Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Outsider Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album?
-I have been using this lock down to write more and more music and record some ideas for future releases, as well as make some planning of what's next, I can say that new music will be released sooner than expected, I can also say that the musical concept of the project will suffer some changes

2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
-It is way more experimental than the very first album, even if in that debut album there were some sparks of experimentation, in this new album I take it to a whole new level, and also I worked on improving the production, those are basically the main differences

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects you explore on the new album and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriting over the years?
-It is all about horror found in many topics, in the very first album it was almost exclusively about the cosmic horror in the vein of HP Lovecraft, for this album I wanted to expand to other topics, such as mythological, fantasy or even sci-fi and of course, horror related to the human psyche. About my songwritting, I don't know if there is any actual improvement, but something I like to highlight about it, is that I almost NEVER state clearly what I am talking about, people have to figure it out, sometimes it is obvious, but sometimes it is not.

4.You have also mentioned being inspired lyrically by the writings of H.P Lovecraft, sci-fi and mythology, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?
-I can say that one of the main subjects of The Outsider concept is how little and even insignificant humanity is, so many of these topics are related to this concept, especially cosmic horror. I am also a big fan of horror in many kinds

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'The Outsider'?
-"The Outsider" is a short tale by HP Lovecraft, it was one of the first tales I read by him many years ago and it is also one that, in my point of view, depicts perfectly what cosmic horror, another reason of this name, is that musically I like to think and compose out of the box, dare to do something new or different, even if it is kind of disturbing and people think it is too strange, then they see you as some sort of outsider.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover/
-It is actually linked to the cover of the very first album, but in the first album this "monster" that appears on the cover is on the cosmos threatening earth, in this new album cover the "being" is somehow arriving to the earth, it is here! Horror is here! The time of humanity has come. Is it the same monster? You never know.

7.With the exception of a few quests you record most of your music solo, are you open to working with a full band?
-I am open to work with a full band when playing live, when recording maybe not since I can record many thing myself, I'd say that I am open on working with other musicians on a record if they have a very important input to make for my music, by now I will keep on working solo with guests, later...who knows?

8.You also have a few quests on the new album, can you tell us a little bit more about who they are and also their contributions to the recording?
-Jörgen Munkeby is well known for his band Shining and for inventing what he calls "Blackjazz" he made some saxophone solos on the song "Suicide is Progress" in a very avant-garde and even chaotic way, which happens to be his somehow trademark sound, then there is Kelly Shaefer, he is the frontman of the legendary band Atheist, he made some guest vocals on the song "The Headless Horror", his vocals have a very disctinctive tone, which happens to be very different from my vocals, so you will spot them instantly.
Kristian Niemann is a swedish shredder who plays in a doom metal band called Sorcerer but is better known for having played with the legendary Therion, he played a great solo on the song "Bringers of the Apocalypse", and last but not least Rick Loera, he may be not as famous as the rest but he not only made some guest vocals, he recorded, mixed and mastered the album, also he was involved in the production, he is a great singer and has his very own metal band called The Legion of Hetheria

9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
-I am not desperately looking for it, but if a good deal comes I will consider taking it, for me it would be very important to keep some creative freedom.

10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of symphonic, avant garde and extreme metal?
-I'd say that the reaction has been mainly positive among fans of avant-garde, of course some people has pointed some aspects of the music and production that can be improved, and I am glad with that, every constructive opinion is welcome, on the other hand, listeners of very traditional heavy metal have had a very bad impression of it, probably because it may be kind of shocking if you are not used to avant-garde dissonant metal, but that is why I like always to make it clear that it is not meant for everyone. Dark symphonic metal fans have also had a good opinion about it.

11.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
-Improving my music and taking it to new horizons, as well as trying to take it to a new level of experimentation, as I said, I have been working on new music and some songs are very weird

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
-I like to consider every artistic effort that tries to break some borders and limits as an inspiration, of course it has to be well done, so I like bands and musicians that have taken music and their music to a new level, such as King Crimson, the japanese band Sigh or Ihsahn, I also like bands that try to depict what darkness is in their music, such as Septicflesh. Lately I have been listening to many many avant-garde and experimental musicians, I actually asked my fans recently to recommend me the most disturbing and weird music they have listened to, the result was great with many highly experimental artists that I did not know and I have been listening to them these days, they will definitely have an impact on my now developing new music

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 
-Yeah, I would like to mention that there is something I used for some songs of the album, specially for "The Headless Horror", it is called 8 Dimensional Audio, it is an effect that makes the processed track literally revolve around your head (headphones or at least earphones required), and that should be enough to evoke some curiosity on listeners haha, it takes what horror in music to a different level and makes The Outsider a music an experience, so if you are into horror metal or want to try something new, try giving "From Ancient Gods and Forbidden Books" a spin.
I also want to thank you for having this interview for me
Cheers,

Bandcamp
Facebook
Spotify
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment