Thursday, October 15, 2020

Demon Haunt Interview

 


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?


Well, since the EP was released I have been spending some time sending the material to the specialized media and disseminating it on my social medias. I'm creating new songs, but it's not my focus at the moment.


2.So far you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?


I like to define it as Thrash/Speed Metalpunk because there is a little bit of it in the project's songs. A little of the old Thrash from Sodom and Dorsal Atlantica, a dose of Speed like Flageladör and Midnight, and a Metalpunk essence influenced by Inepsy, Whipstriker, Motörhead and many others.


3.You have also mentioned an interest in history, philosophy, science and existentialism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in those topics?


Yeah, I really like to understand a little better this chaotic world we live in and therefore I spend a lot of time watching documentaries and reading books on these topics. I think the more I understand the world, the easier it becomes to create good lyrics because I’m little bit more aware of what is happening. Non-conformity comes automatically when you look at the harsh reality of our species.


4.The band name and some of the lyrics also show a heavy influence from the writings Of Carl Sagan, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his work and do you feel there where also things he knew about that he could of never mentioned in his lifetime due to the way science was back then and right now?


Around the age of 15 I was rebellious, but completely stupid and dumb. When I got to know Sagan's work, he aroused me an interest in science and philosophy, and it made me addicted to learning. Sagan has shaped my morals and character a lot, and over the years my admiration for him only increases. He was also a very politically active guy, and was always an activist against wars (mainly nuclear ones), against the atrocities committed by the authorities around the globe and against human stupidity. All this subversiveness of him combines very well with the music I make, so I decided to make a Saganist band (the fact that Sagan and Satan are identical words helps a lot hahah). Sagan also predicted all this wave of hatred and enthusiasm for war and neo-fascism that we see today in different parts of the world; all these fake news that seem to be endlessly corrupting democracies everywhere; all the racism, sexism and prejudices that emerge (even more) strongly during crises... He has been fighting against it since the 80s. And I think that everything he did in life helped to open the eyes of many people. He made thousands (including me) choose the side of science, he taught that understanding is better than judging. His work is timeless, so his speeches can teach us a lot, even so many years after his death.


5.You also being against fascism and war, can you tell us a little bit more what these mean to you?


For the reasons I mentioned above, it is natural that I’m against the stupidity that is war and fascism. Both are the opposite of progress; they are against free thinking, against individual freedoms and hate the idea that every human being on this earth deserves a dignified life. War is nothing but the rich ones playing of killing the poor.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


The last book released by Carl Sagan is called The Demon-Haunted World, and in it he denounces many of the problems that we see around us today. Cult of ignorance, denial of truth, denial of science, resurgence of ideologies from the last century, or even from a millennium ago. It threatens every inhabitant on the planet. Especially since we now have nuclear bombs and the full capacity to completely annihilate our own species and much of life on earth. It is as if the Dark Ages has been trying to come back harder and stronger, an intellectual darkness is embracing the planet. It's haunting us. With it said, it becomes clearer that on the EP cover I have a goat representing these haunts, and a man taming him with the power of knowledge: the book.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself but also have experience playing with a full line up, how would you compare the 2?


I like both. Being part of a band with a full line-up is really cool, bringing together everyone's ideas and energy to create something of ours is exceptional. It emanates an intense energy. But I also needed a solo project to create songs with a complete freedom to do as I please. I can keep both, and I believe that one will not hinder the other.


8.On the ep you also did an 'Inepsy' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?


Inepsy was the band that introduced and addicted me to metalpunk, and I really like how they sound and I think they have great lyrics. The song I chose, Who's Next, perfectly matches with my ideas and Sagan's speeches. 


9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


Yeah, I'm looking for interested labels. A few have already shown interest, but nothing definitive. I hope that by the end of the year I have something guaranteed to physically release the material.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of metal and punk?


It's been really good. I have already received good feedback from various parts of the planet and it encourages me to continue with the project. I think it will increase even more when I get an international label.


11.What is going on with your other band these days?

Visão Mórbida is about to enter the studio to record our debut material, which will be a full album. That's why I'm not focusing on creating new songs for the project right now. For now, I'm just promoting Demön Haunt’s EP and practicing a lot the Visão Mórbida’s songs to record it very well.


12.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


At the end of next year I already want to have a Full Album ready for Demön Haunt. For my future as a musician I hope to return to the stages with total force when the pandemic is over, and make a tour in Brazil. In the near future, an international tour (I would love Latin America and Europe). I also assure you that other projects of other subgenres will come, some solo project too, but others with a friend.


13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I can mention Violator, Cemitério, Sepultura, Korvak, Hell Poison, Damn Youth, Whipstriker, Nuclear, Children of Technology, Lei do Kaoz, Dispense, Considered Dead, Mörbidez, Flagelador, Evilcult, Suicidal Angels, Beseiged, Ewig Frost, Facção Central, Beströven, Demolition Hammer, Omega, and many others. All bands above have inspired me in some way with Visão Mórbida, Demön Haunt, or both. I also have an influence on the lyrics of brazilian popular music (MPB) and brazilian rap (like the aforementioned Facção Central). 


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


A huge thanks for the interview and support! I really loved this questions, hope everyone whos reading it enjoy it and that’s it! Follow me on social medias, greetings!

And FUCK BOLSONARO!!!!


Bandcamp
Facebook
Instagram
Spotify
YouTube



No comments:

Post a Comment