Thursday, December 2, 2021

Kanahn Interview

 

1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


I had been writing songs for different projects for a few years prior to the pandemic. But when the whole Covid thing happened and the world was shut down, it seemed like the right time to start working on new material with a different approach. This time the intention was to do everything by myself. Writing, performing, recording and producing an album from scratch.


2. So far you have released one full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording? 

I´ve always been a fan of death metal and grind core since the late 80´s and early 90´s but my interest in black metal is something that has happened in the last decade. I really enjoy the most raw and fast aspect of it and I definitely wanted to incorporate some of that in my songwriting. The whole approach was simple. Fast, vicious and brutal songs with as much dynamics as possible in them. 


3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?

Time is definitely one of the main topics in the album. The feeling of impending doom permeates the whole album.


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Kanahn'?

It means nothing. It just represents the music.


5. Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?

The artwork is based on an old painting that has been hanging for ages in my childhood house. It had always been there but never caught my attention until now. I scanned it and work on it until I got what I was looking for. The cover looks nothing like the original piece.


6. With this project you record everything by yourself but have experience working with a full band, which one do you prefer?

I´ve been playing in bands for more than 25 years and currently I am playing in too. So I guess that that´s my natural habitat. A solo project like Kanahn is a different kind of animal. It is arguably a more intense creative process and way more challenging because it involves several aspects including recording, mixing and mastering. 


7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

The album will be physically released soon through TOTAL DISSONANCE WORSHIP.


8. On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black, death metal and grindcore?

Reactions have been few and far between but all of them positive.


9. What is going on with your other band 'Funeral Sun' these days?

Funeral Sun is in an indefinite hiatus.


10. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

Back to the hole where I practice with my main band (and hopefully to live activity) and back to my home studio to write more music for the follow up to Fall Prey.


11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays? 

Classic death metal and grindcore, sludge, doom…. Those are definitely a direct influence. Bands like Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Immolation, Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death, Repulsion, Brutal Truth, Nasum, Marduk, Angelcorpse, Eyehategood, Iron Monkey…Nowadays I´m really enjoying bands like Black Curse, Spectral Wound, Blood Incantation, Fossilization, Suffocation´s live album and different stuff like Death Bells, Willie Nelson, Sinatra or Greet Death.


12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Go check Fall Prey at https://kanahn.bandcamp.com/album/fall-prey

Bandcamp: https://kanahn.bandcamp.com/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kanahnblast/
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/kanahn