Answering the questions: Clayton Bartholomew (Guitars, Keyboards) and Garett Gazay (Vocals)
1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Clayton: We are busy writing the next record. We have five new songs basically finished. We are being selective in the local shows we accept, working on tour opportunities… most importantly, we are promoting “To Sail Black Waters”.
2. How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the album?
Clayton: I think of “To Sail Black Waters” as almost a soundtrack. It is cinematic, cerebral, dark, moody and yet somehow not completely void of hope at the same time... I think we want to leave it to the listener to interpret it for themselves though.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Garett: With this record "To Sail Black Waters" the whole of my lyrical inspiration has come from the sound of the instrumentation, and the needed expression of deep, dark depths within myself, that I feel I hadn't been able to explore truly until joining this band. (Secrets of the Sky) To sum it up there are two songs about personal transformation, (Decline, and Sunrise) one is an ode to a deeply revered Pagan deity named "Cernunnos" (Winter) and "Black Waters" is the coming to terms with personal sin, and the hell within.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Garett: If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret now would it? Haha, let's just say you should keep a really close eye on us from here on out... There are some things better left unsaid for now. I'll give you a clue though, there have been clues left, and will continue to be left in the imagery, sounds, and lyrics of this band's future releases.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Clayton: We have played some amazing local shows and have been lucky enough to have a good draw so far. We went down to LA and played with Saviours and Black Cobra earlier this year and that was good times.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?
Clayton: We are working on that for sure. Dates coming soon!
7. Currently you are signed to Gravedancer Records, how did you get in contact with this label and how would you describe the support they have given you so far?
Clayton: Josh, who runs the label, got in touch with us following our feature in the “Unsigned and Unholy” column MetalSucks runs. He liked what he heard and wanted to work with us, which has been great. He has been really supportive in what we are trying to do and has opened some new doors for us... we couldn't ask for more!
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of extreme Metal?
Clayton: The reviews are starting to trickle in and so far, the response has been pretty amazing. Only time will tell for sure though.
9. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Clayton: This is a full time line up… no real side projects to speak of. All six of us are pretty stoked on what we are doing with Secrets.
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Clayton: We are sticking to what works for us writing-wise… but I can say that the new material we have written is a bit more compact, a bit more dynamic and just as epic as anything we have worked on in the past. It is definitely a pick up from where we left off on “To Sail Black Waters” and continues the “Secrets” story... literally.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Clayton: We all listen to different stuff for sure… lots of classic rock would probably be the common thread. Personally, I am listening to Robin Trower, Jethro Tull, Baroness, Torche, Pallbearer, etc.
Garett: Yeah, I would have to say I listen to more Scandinavian Black Metal / Death than anything. Band's like Watain, Gorgoroth, Dark Throne, Amon Amarth. And I'm forever in love with Tristania (Morten Veland).
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Clayton: Collecting Vinyl, getting tattooed, drinking beers, watching classic and foreign horror movies, etc.
Garett: Aliester Crowley, The Order of the Golden Dawn Witchcraft, Poetry, Music, History, I LOVE History...
13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Clayton: Thank you for taking an interest in the band and the album… cheers!
Post a Comment