Monday, July 19, 2021

The Cauldron Of Darkness Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


-The Cauldron of Darkness was formed at a fairly difficult time in a lot of people’s lives-mid 2020. I personally was experiencing some pretty extreme lows, a lot of loss at that point in my life. The writing process for GENESIS was hugely therapeutic for me, as well as a major creative/expressive outlet. A learning experience, to say the least.


2.A Few months back you had released a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


- To be totally honest, I didn’t have any certain style or genre that I was aiming for. Heavy, being the only stipulation. As we all know, heavy is a subjective term. Bottom line, I wanted to make an album that meant something to ME and would push my creative boundaries-do something that I’ve never done or really ever thought about before.


3.So far all of your music has been instrumental, are you open to adding vocals on future releases?


-This is a tough one, easiest answer is yes. Initially, GENESIS was intended to have vocals, as time went on, things didn’t happen that way and I decided I move forward completely solo and instrumental. 


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'The Cauldron of Darkness'?


-The Cauldron of Darkness, to me, symbolizes a pretty vast culmination of thoughts and experiences-and in all honesty, came from a pretty dark place-one that exists within us all. Some will never peer into it, others will embrace and understand it’s importance.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the album cover?


-As some people may know, GENESIS is a concept album centering around a main character called 'The Traveller'. The album art depicts the the main character on his home turf; adrift in the cosmos, observing, seeking the answers to all of the unanswered questions: Existence, origins, purpose, and meaning.


6.On both the bandcamp and facebook page you have an esoteric looking symbol, can you tell us a little bit more about what this represents to you?


-This symbol is called the Metatron's Cube-sacred geometry that is said to hold all of the building blocks of creation/existence. To me, the Cube symbolizes the connection that is shared within every form of life down to the atomic level.


7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


-I am not opposed to working alongside other musicians. That being said, in my experience, it has been extremely hard to find musicians who are dedicated, like minded, and are willing to keep a good practice regimen. In the future, if I were to find musicians who met that criteria, I would be stoked to make The Cauldron of Darkness a team effort.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


-Correct. I am not ACTIVELY looking to get signed, and that is not a primary goal for The Cauldron of Darkness. Obviously, if that were to happen, I would be stoked as long as it was a mutually beneficial agreement. As for label interest, I think it is going to take a special ear, as I feel my music is fairly niché-not exactly fitting into the genre molds of most well known bands/labels. 


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?


-I feel like I have gotten the best response from folks in Europe and parts of the globe other than the United States. As for fans of black and doom metal, I personally feel that The Cauldron of Darkness touches on those genres, but is a little abstract to be narrowed down enough to fully please the die hard fanbases of Black and Doom.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


-As a musician, heading into the future, I will be going wherever the universe takes me. As for the nuts and bolts of this operation, I am aiming to continue writing and releasing music on a regular basis. I am currently wrapping up the writing process for a follow-up e.p. that will expand the timeline of GENESIS. The new songs will take place between the events of the songs Deprivation and The Pale Rider. Until the e.p. is released, I will continue to promote GENESIS by way of playthrough videos and such via my YouTube and social media outlets.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


-I couldn’t exactly pinpoint any specific bands that I feel have really influenced my music, I purposely have not listened to music during my writing process for fear that my process would be tainted in a way. I wanted these songs to be as genuine as possible, all from the same palette. However, some bands/artists that I feel have made an impact on me personally-or my train of thought are: Rivers of Nihil, Palm Reader, Landscapes, Feed the Rhino, and Keith Merrow.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


-I would like to say that I hope GENESIS and The Cauldron of Darkness finds its way into the hands of individuals that it will really speak to-to offer some form of relief or change a person’s mood, perhaps their entire way of thinking. I can’t express the immense gratitude that I have for my wife, who has been the most unbreakable pillar of support throughout this entire process and journey.



And thank YOU for the time and effort you’ve put into this review and interview, your time is highly appreciated!


https://www.facebook.com/TheCauldronOfDarkness
https://www.instagram.com/thecauldronofdarkness/