Saturday, June 11, 2022

Scuriu Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording of the new ep?

I personally recorded, mixed and mastered the whole work.

Actually, the recording was a bit slowed down by my job research, the change from VST sounds to the recording of bass and guitar parts through a pedalboard which works as an audio interface, and a lot of dissatisfaction with my vocal parts, which I eventually figured out how to render through a trial and error process.

 


2.You have a new ep coming out in July, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

This EP is musically less black and more gothic oriented than my previous demo. 

It also makes a lesser use of the double kick drum and basically has no guitar solo sections, but introduces 2 interpolations: Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and traditional Sephardic song "La prima vez".


3.The lyrics on the new ep are a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the story that you have covered with this new release?


The story I decided to cover comes from my need to let some personal issues out of my chest, and is mostly inspired by those very issues, which I'd prefer not to talk about.

As you may already know, the main character of the story is a man falling in love with whom he sadly finds out to be a bloodthirsty vampire lady.

There are many parts in the lyrics which are purposefully ambiguous and I'd like the listeners to give their own interpretation of those parts.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Scuriu'?

The name "Scurìu" comes from the dialect of my birthplace, Cagliari, which is the main city in Sardinia, and it means "dark".

I actually live in Northern Italy, and I learnt from some fellow musicians that the musician's own roots can be a really strong plus value.

This EP is in English, but I may seriously consider writing lyrics in Cagliari's dialect!


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?

I commissioned the portrait of Wilhelmina (without the background) to an Italian illustrator called Valentina "Moon Child" Ghirardi.

I found out about her work while browsing Instagram and I felt that her style could fit my music.

You should definitely check her Instagram page, @fantasy_illustrations_ , she's really talented!

I eventually drew the background on my PC, inspired by my own line in the EP "Like you came from a world where sorrow doesn't exist".


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

Scurìu was born and intended as a solo project, and as of now I'd prefer to work solo. 

But in case I find some talented and really trustworthy musicians, I could think about bringing it live, probably as the lead guitarist.



7.In 2021 you where a part of a split with 'Black Flame', what are your thoughts on the other project that had participate on the recording?

The single split with Black Flame was a peculiar experiment.

I let him hear what eventually became "Wilhelmina I", the first track of this EP, and he wanted to make a cover of it, while I decided to make a cover of one of his tracks.

So he played my track in his dungeon synth style and I played his track in my dark ambient style.


I know Black Flame through the Italian collective Carcerem Lupi Underground Resistance, which I've been part of since April 2021 and whose third split album "From the deepest mist of the underground" 

I'm featured in with a dark ambient track. 

The guy behind Black Flame has a lot of creativity and is really talented.

I recommend his work as Black Flame, Shining Dawn and Kemelios.


8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

As of now I'm unsigned and I haven't received any interest from any label, nor am I interested to look for one.

I've heard many stories of some independent labels acting unprofessionally and this led me to the conclusion that I'd prefer to self-release my own work.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?

Worldwide, many people praised the idea behind my music but moved constructive criticism to the arrangements of my demo, which I'm trying bit by bit to improve with new works.

Also, many people find it peculiar that I write "ov" instead of "of" in the lyrics. I do it purposefully to pay tribute to Behemoth, who is a strong influence to me as a lyricist.


10.When can we expect a full length and  also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I have a couple of draft ideas which hopefully would lead me to a full length, but as of now I'd like to work on completely different stuff before getting back to finish some of the ideas.

I'm not a professional musician myself and here in Italy making a living out of music is extremely hard if not impossible, especially when it comes to underground genres like metal, ambient and so on.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that you are currently listening to nowadays?

Nowadays I'm listening to different bands and styles. HIM, Tool, Amenra, Krzysztof Drabikowski's Батюшка, Cradle of Filth, Alcest... but also some Italian underground hip hop realities, like DSA Commando or XVI Religion, just to mention a couple.

Most in general, if I like some artist / band I listen to them, whatever their musical style is.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

Support underground art! There are many talented artists out there who deserve some attention.

I'd like to thank you for this interview and everybody who was and/or still is part of this crazy journey called life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment