Sunday, June 23, 2024

Acid Mass Interview

 

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the solo project since the recording of the new album?


When I finished recording AGONIZER, I immediately started working on what is now WORSHIP. This time around, I’ve kind of stepped back from working on new Acid Mass stuff for the time being. Of course, I say this as I just finished demoing a new Acid Mass song 3 days ago. I’m just not hitting it as hard right now I guess but I’m also not stifling inspiration when it strikes. The main focus for Acid Mass right now is promoting the new record and finding members to play in a live band so we can play some fucking shows already!


2.You have a new album coming out in August, musically how does it differ from your previous releases?


Musically, I would say it’s much more thought out. I feel like these songs have more intention and structure, as far as song writing goes. As far as the overall sound of the record, it sounds light years better than AGONIZER simply because I learned a lot in the process of recording that record.


3.In the last year you have released a couple of full lengths, 2 eps and a few singles, do you spend a great amount of time writing and creating music?


Yeah, music is basically my whole life at this point. I spent all my teens and most of my 20’s in bands but then took a big chunk of time (7 or 8 years?) away from music to get some personal shit straight. Now that I’ve rediscovered my love of playing at 35 years old, it’s all I want to do.


4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


The obvious ones would be war, religion, demons, shit like that. On WORSHIP, some of the topics include the negative effect of humans on the planet, suicide, how the actions and ideologies of a few war mongers dictate the future for us all, etc.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Acid mass'?


To be very honest, it’s the title of one of my favorite Wraith songs. When I first started doing Acid Mass, the project didn’t have a name. I was driving one day and listening to music and that song came on and I thought “that would be a killer band name” so I text Matt (vocals/guitar in Wraith) and asked if he’d care if I used it and he was kind enough to say “go for it”. Truth be told, I didn’t expect anything to really come of Acid Mass, so when AGONIZER started doing well, I had a moment where I almost changed the name because a couple of the Wraith guys were asked multiple times if Acid Mass was a Wraith side project. Not that I have an issue being mentioned in the same breath as those guys; they’re one of my favorite bands and some very close buds. I was just worried that it would be hard to prove that I wasn’t trying to like ride their coattails or something. But, it seems that as time has gone on, that has kind of worked itself out which I’m grateful for because I didn’t want to lose such a good band name.


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


Yeah! Sandy Rezalmi is the artist and I’ve used him for just about everything I’ve released up to this point. I just love his style and his art fits the musical style so well. As far as the art for WORSHIP, I had already written the song of the same name and decided I wanted that to be the title of the next record before I had any art lined up. I knew I wanted to use Sandy again, so I went to his instagram to message him about a commission but decided to just scroll through his profile and see if there was anything I could use as a jumping off point. I ended up seeing the artwork that is being used for the record and thought it was just perfect. I found out from Sandy that it was available, so I jumped on it!


7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?


I’m not opposed to working with other musicians here and there for Acid Mass. For example, there are some (heavy hitting) guests on WORSHIP that I collaborated with and I’ve collaborated with a couple other people on some covers this year. But as far as writing as a whole, I think I’d like to keep it in house, so to speak. Not because I’m some dictator or because I don’t work well with others. Mainly, because I’m an idiot and I sometimes have poor communication skills and sometimes I don’t know how to convey the idea I have so it’s much easier to just do it myself. I actually like working with other musicians. I’m in a couple of actual bands aside from Acid Mass and I love the camaraderie that comes with that. It’s just with Acid Mass, I have such a specific idea for how I want things to sound, I guess.


8.Recently you have done a 'Death' cover', what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?


Yeah! That was a fun one to do. Especially having Ash Thomas (Faithxtractor) do the guest vocals because he’s a local guy that I’ve always admired as a musician. That song was part of a series of monthly covers I did this year. As with all the other covers I did, I basically just wanted to pay tribute to bands that have shaped the way I think about and write music. And having a death metal legend like Ash do the vocals was a no-brainer. Speaking of those monthly cover releases, there will be more later in the year.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and thrash metal?


It has honestly been insane. It has legitimately brought a tear to my eye more than once. Having people from the other side of the world buy your record is an experience I certainly never thought I would have. I’ve shipped copies of AGONIZER all over the world and every time, I’m just kind of blown away. The idea of my little at-home recording project making its way from Cincinnati Ohio to someone in Germany or Chile, for example, is absolutely nuts to me. It’s a real humbling experience and I’m grateful as hell for it.


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


Well, like I mentioned earlier, I’d really love for Acid Mass to finally find its way to a live audience. That’s a big goal for this year. Even if it’s just one show. As far as writing goes, I think I’ll only be able to take a break from working on new stuff for so long before I have to scratch that itch. I want to push Acid Mass further and push myself further as a musician. I just hope whatever comes from that doesn’t suck!




11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



I grew up on metal and punk through my Dad and my aunt so those genres and tons of their sub genres have made their mark on my brain and my style. Slayer, Sodom, Bathory, early Metallica, Death, Exorcist, Discharge, Broken Bones, English Dogs, Anti Cimex, Venom, to name a few specific influences. As far as what I’m listening to lately: Nocturnal, Graveripper, Loose Tongue, Impalers,  Hellripper, Warthog, and some nerdy ass podcasts.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


I’d like to thank you for asking me to do this interview and for your review of WORSHIP! I’d also like to thank ANYONE and EVERYONE that has supported Acid Mass in any way shape or form. It means more than I can ever adequately express. The last thing I want to say is that some friends of mine have a band called LOOSE TONGUE and they just put out one of my favorite releases of recent memory called “The People”. Listen to it on Bandcamp and buy their shit!


https://www.instagram.com/acid.mass/

No comments:

Post a Comment