Thursday, July 30, 2020

Nestrena Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

It’s a one-man-band, inspiration and influences vary to a great extent from old school Florida deathmetal to various forms ov Blackmetal (Master’s Hammer, Necromantia, Gehenna, etc) + Dark Ambient stuff.
Nestrena is the monicker I use for making extreme metal. I’ve been making deathmetal for a long time, played in bands before but now do a solo project.
The point is simply to make death and blackmetal, and include whatever weirdness I see fit. I also make industrial/dark ambient musick, so there will be some subtle hints of that stuff too.

2.So far you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?
I didn’t have much planned apart from thinking I’d make some death and blackmetal, and and there was a subtle funk influence too hahaha.

3.According to the bandcamp page you do not record with a real amp and use a laptop mic for the vocals, can you tell us a little bit more about the recording process?

No, I have no real studio. I record on a digital porta studio from 2001 for guitars and bass, line them in – and I roar/sing into the laptop microphone for vocals in isolated spaces, like cars, or cottages without electricity hahaha, DIY bitches!

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?
Monism and Nihilism, and Chaoist thought á la Spare & Carroll.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nestrena'?
It’s an amalgation of a mantra/audio-sigil. I have “forgotten” the meaning ;)

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?
The original artist who made “Grindslanten” (Roughly translated as “The alm at the Gate”) showed a picture of old time farmer kids fighting over a penny tossed from the rich in horse & wagon for passing the gate.
But now, this perversion of the artwork denotes how the spirit of Lucifer (The Chariot with horses) blasts past the Horusian Children/the egos (solar selves) who are either stuck fighting for material stuff in life or stand still observing the nonsense remain passive.

7.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?
No, never, and will probably remain a studio project.

8.So far there has been very little information about the band online other than the bandcamp page, is that intentional or do you plan on expanding your presence in the future?
I’m working on it.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and death metal?
It’s been out less than a month so I don’t know that yet. I got an interview within a week so that’s good!

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
There will be another EP first I’m sure, there are two songs ready (I can send you rough versions of them if you want and you can tell me what direction they are going – I personally don’t really think of it that way, I let chaos/randomness dictate a lot in this musical process). A full length? I have no idea when that would be.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nwadays?
As previously mentioned, old school Floridia Deathmetal bands, Then, of corpse, Immolation, Napalm Death, Necromantia, Mortuary Drape, Cryptopsy. Embalmer, Malignancy. I could namedrop tons of bands. Nowadays I’m still listening to all those bands because they still make good music – and I also like “new” DM bands with veterans like Kurnugia and Surgikill. As for new younger metal bands: Malignant Altar, Inferior Wretch, Suffer Yourself. As for Non-metal; RAAN (even I don’t know if it’s still active), The Sun Burns black, Frater Epitheton, Spuntic.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thank you very much for the interview, the review and for your UG-suporting work with your zine!